HEADS UP: Check your devices' UDMA settings - *TEMPORARY* *WORKAROUND*

Goh Lip g.lip at gmx.com
Wed Apr 6 07:31:10 UTC 2011

On 04/06/2011 01:04 PM, Basil Chupin wrote:
> The temporary workaround for this problem is to add to the boot
> parameters the following: libata.force=X:80c
>
> where X is the IDE line which is being affected by this UDMA problem. In
> my case, the devices on line #2 are affected so I use libata.force=2:80c
> and now the HDD and the DVDRW are being set to UDMA 100 & 100,
> respectively.
>
> Using 'libata.force=X:80c' is working because libata is actually
> statically embedded in the kernel; if it was not then you would use
> 'force=X:80c'.
>
> (Now I have to go and read up on grub 2 to see how I can insert this
> workaround in grub without having to add this everything to the boot
> parameters at boot time.)

Basil, I don't know anything about the UDMA issue or whether the
proposed solution by you will work, but to add to linux line (kernel
line -grub-l speak) of the grub menu, change the following at
/etc/default/grub/

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="libata.force=X:80c"

And then "sudo update-grub".

Oh, I will be flying off in a few hours time, won't be back for a week,
will not be taking my thumb drive this time or using any computer.
(going  9,000 km away, 10 hrs flight)

If you need further help, many others here can help.

Regards - Goh Lip

--
Life is a sexually transmitted disease with a 100% mortality rate.