[RESOLVED - MAYBE] [UPDATE} Need help, please, with burning DVDs

Pongo A. Pan pongo_pan at charter.net
Sun Apr 3 18:01:03 UTC 2011

On Sun, 2011-04-03 at 23:21 +1000, Basil Chupin wrote:
> On 02/04/2011 02:12, Pongo A. Pan wrote:
> >
> > Have you changed the connecting cable?
Sorry, missed that.  Pretty obvious first step.

> Yes - see my new thread, "Is there a log file........" (sorry can't
> remember its full name :-( ).
>
> > Have you tried burning with another OS installed on the computer (even
> > temporarily) or with one on a usb or liveCD?
>
> I have tried XP but not having used it for zonks I had to download a
> couple of burning apps for it - but they were *crap*. So I am still
> looking for a decent burning app for XP.

To be sure that I'm not talking through my hat, I just tried using the
Ubuntu 10.10 liveCD and brassero to made a cd.  I worked perfectly.
That would be a simple test that you could do in 10 minutes which would
tell you fairly certainly whether the problem is with software or
hardware.

Presumably, you could use Kubuntu on a cd or usb to do the same thing
with k3b if you prefer it.

> > Have you tried using wodim directly?
>
> No.

As I said, I haven't needed to burn from the CLI since my Mandrake days,
so I can't help.  The man page seems to indicate that there are lots of
testing and debugging modes; it might be worth the effort to try it.

> >    AFAIK k3b, brasaro,
>
> Brasero........I am buggered if I can figure out how to use the damn
> thing! It keeps coming up with something like "these files are not DVD
> files" when I try to burn a DVD sitting on the HDD. Bloody primitive,
> brasero is.

Brassero is very Gnomic; almost nothing for the user to change and the
defaults are very sensible.  I can't imagine why you would have trouble
with it; it has always worked for me out-of-the-box.  It's just a front
end for Wodim anyway.

--
pongo pan
If I were as rich as Mr. Darcy...I should not