[RESOLVED - MAYBE] [UPDATE} Need help, please, with burning DVDs

Basil Chupin blchupin at iinet.net.au
Sun Apr 3 13:21:42 UTC 2011

On 02/04/2011 02:12, Pongo A. Pan wrote:
> On Fri, 2011-04-01 at 20:21 +1100, Basil Chupin wrote:
>>> But then the wheels fell off (well, almost) :-( .
>>>
>>> When I went to burn discs #5 and #6 the burn went to the end but then
>>> I got the 'normal' error messages with the first being "Unable to
>>> fixate the disc" :-( . However, the drive did NOT lock up AND the DVDs
>>> actually play normally!
>>>
>>> So, I don't know what the heck is going on and why.
>>>
>>> I spent some time yesterday going around trying to find a new burner
>>> but had no luck so ordered one online from "my favourite shop" which
>>> is interstate. Installing this brand new unit tomorrow will show if it
>>> is the device or some fiddle in Ubuntu/k3b.
>> Well, a new, "untouched by human hands", DVDRW (a Pioneer DDVR-118)
>> installed today and I burnt a DVD -R DL. Same result as I mentioned for
>> discs #5&  #6 above: "Unable to fixate the disk" :-( . So, it's not the
>> device but either k3b or some Ubuntu upgrade which was put thru in the
>> last 2 weeks. Back to the drawing-board.
> Coming very late to this party, but:
>
> Have you changed the connecting cable?

Yes - see my new thread, "Is there a log file........" (sorry can't
remember its full name :-( ).

> Have you tried burning with another OS installed on the computer (even
> temporarily) or with one on a usb or liveCD?

I have tried XP but not having used it for zonks I had to download a
couple of burning apps for it - but they were *crap*. So I am still
looking for a decent burning app for XP.

> Have you tried using wodim directly?

No.

>    AFAIK k3b, brasaro,

Brasero........I am buggered if I can figure out how to use the damn
thing! It keeps coming up with something like "these files are not DVD
files" when I try to burn a DVD sitting on the HDD. Bloody primitive,
brasero is.

BC

--

Any experiment in life will be at your own experience.