[RESOLVED - MAYBE] [UPDATE} Need help, please, with burning DVDs

Pongo A. Pan pongo_pan at charter.net
Fri Apr 1 15:12:10 UTC 2011

On Fri, 2011-04-01 at 20:21 +1100, Basil Chupin wrote:

> > But then the wheels fell off (well, almost) :-( .
> >
> > When I went to burn discs #5 and #6 the burn went to the end but then
> > I got the 'normal' error messages with the first being "Unable to
> > fixate the disc" :-( . However, the drive did NOT lock up AND the DVDs
> > actually play normally!
> >
> > So, I don't know what the heck is going on and why.
> >
> > I spent some time yesterday going around trying to find a new burner
> > but had no luck so ordered one online from "my favourite shop" which
> > is interstate. Installing this brand new unit tomorrow will show if it
> > is the device or some fiddle in Ubuntu/k3b.
>
> Well, a new, "untouched by human hands", DVDRW (a Pioneer DDVR-118)
> installed today and I burnt a DVD -R DL. Same result as I mentioned for
> discs #5 & #6 above: "Unable to fixate the disk" :-( . So, it's not the
> device but either k3b or some Ubuntu upgrade which was put thru in the
> last 2 weeks. Back to the drawing-board.

Coming very late to this party, but:

Have you changed the connecting cable?

Have you tried burning with another OS installed on the computer (even
temporarily) or with one on a usb or liveCD?

Have you tried using wodim directly?  AFAIK k3b, brasaro, etc., are just
front ends for wodim.  Man wodim has lots of debugging hints.  I haven't
needed it since the days when it was called cdrecord, but it looks
interesting.

--
pongo pan
Aurelius up 1:21, 2 users, load average: 0.22, 0.30, 0.33