File decryption

Rashkae ubuntu at tigershaunt.com
Mon Sep 27 19:39:50 UTC 2010

David Fletcher wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-09-27 at 10:19 +0200, Michael Kadzioch wrote:
>>

>> Am 27.09.2010 10:07, schrieb David Fletcher:
>>> Here's something I wanted to do last night - get Gnome to decrypt a file.
>>>
>>> With KDE I just install kgpg and from then on I can right-click on a file and
>>> either encrypt or decrypt it. How do I do this in Ubuntu Lucid? Google has
>>> not revealed any answer to me.
>>>
>>> Dave
>>>

>> Try encfs and cryptkeeper (gui for encfs). It works fine on mx desktop!
>>

> I tried it but it looks like it's meant to work with directories not
> individual files.
>
> Surely this can't be difficult?
>
> Dave

Not difficult, but wins my vote for best kept secret.

You need to install the seahorse-plugins (seahorse is the Gnome GPG
front-ent.  the plugins package has misc. extras, including the right
click menu Encrypt / Sign options.  You'll have to log out of gnome and
back in for the new right click menus to take effect.  Go to Accessories
menu "Passwords and Encryption Keys" to create/import your keys.