WTF?! NO floppy in Lucid or in Meerkat! -- PROGRESS REPORT

Christopher Chan christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk
Mon Sep 27 05:57:08 UTC 2010

> So was Wabi. Running REAL Win3.1 installed from your own Windows
> floppies on a 32bit OS was a scream. Win3.1 ran faster on Linux than it
> did on DOS, naturally. Plus, they (the Wabi people, not Caldera) hooked
> it into Linux TCP/IP so it worked a treat on a network. They came out
> with a version for Win95 that never saw the light of day. Someone made
> them an offer they couldn't refuse, I imagine. Caldera tried to bridge
> the gap between FOSS and the commercial world. When Ray Noorda stepped
> out of the picture, it went to hell. The man could wheel and deal.
>
> You may wish to read this: http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/2076
> Oh yeah, those were my days! :) Ric

Started Linux in 1999 so Wabi was already irrelevant by then I
guess...never tried it out. Then Corel Linux came out, what a beau that
was and of course Microsoft did something about that straight away. Now,
we have Ubuntu to carry the linux flag on desktops. Too bad Ubuntu does
not have its own nice gui apps like Caldera OpenLinux and Corel Linux
did. But I guess that is also why Ubuntu was not shot down right at the
beginning too.