WTF?! NO floppy in Lucid or in Meerkat! -- PROGRESS REPORT

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Mon Sep 27 05:42:05 UTC 2010

On Mon, 2010-09-27 at 12:31 +0800, Christopher Chan wrote:

> >> and I thought you were adverse to inflicting pain on yourself.
> >>
> >> What are you going to put on it? Hardy?
> >
> > Iam is my God Machine. The Big 64bit Kahlua. Not Mom's Machine, which I
> > turn on every so often to run Caldera installed on it. Works good! It's
> > really pitiful to see Netscape try to update itself though, it's the
> > computer equivalent of falling face first into the oatmeal. So, I turn
> > it off and let it just sleep. That way it won't miss the floppy. :) Ric
> >

> Caldera? OpenLinux? What version? 1.2? Or 2.2 with the first graphical
> installer for a linux distro?

Caldera 2.2 I was a huge user and fan of Caldera for about as long as
they were in business. Excellent user list too. We could be off-topic as
long as the subject line contained <TD> (Thread is Deteriorating) in it.
Folks could just elect to filter on it, or not. Great apps, too.
Netscape and Netscape Server were licensed and included, if you bought
the pricey CD.

Netscape Server had a beautiful graphical config. This was when apache
required using vi to edit the text config script they had. With
Netscape, just a couple of clicks and you were serving webpages. Just
that easy. Plus, you could do the same remotely on your server using
Netscape browser to admin your site from anywhere. Way ahead of it's
time.

So was Wabi. Running REAL Win3.1 installed from your own Windows
floppies on a 32bit OS was a scream. Win3.1 ran faster on Linux than it
did on DOS, naturally. Plus, they (the Wabi people, not Caldera) hooked
it into Linux TCP/IP so it worked a treat on a network. They came out
with a version for Win95 that never saw the light of day. Someone made
them an offer they couldn't refuse, I imagine. Caldera tried to bridge
the gap between FOSS and the commercial world. When Ray Noorda stepped
out of the picture, it went to hell. The man could wheel and deal.

You may wish to read this: http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/2076
Oh yeah, those were my days! :) Ric

Linux user# 44256