Don't ignore older media types - was WTF?! NO floppy in Lucid or in Meerkat!

David Fletcher dave at thefletchers.net
Sat Sep 25 08:53:27 UTC 2010

Slashdot has an item this morning that may be OT but of relevance here I
think:-
http://entertainment.slashdot.org/story/10/09/24/2322232/CD-Sales-Continue-To-Plummet-Vinyl-Records-Soar

BTW I too am disappointed by the subject of this thread. Floppies are not
exactly stone age. Until a few years ago when hard drive capacities started
to become huge and optical media commonplace, people were storing a lot of
their data on them. Without OS support those files become inaccessible.

They still have their place, I think, where a quick and easy backup of
relatively small files is desired. I'm thinking of the kwallet file, gpg
keys, stuff like that.

BTW I still have a little stack of 5.25 inch floppies, a couple of nice TEAC
drives that take them and a few of the edge connector type floppy drive
cables but unfortunately BIOS support for these appears to have been dropped
on this PC.

Dave