thanks fedora

Robert Holtzman holtzm at cox.net
Wed Sep 22 22:00:15 UTC 2010

On Wed, Sep 22, 2010 at 01:26:30PM +0530, Tanmoy Chatterjee wrote:

            ..........snip..........

> Insertion of my PD in an USB port, always starts with a glowing tiny
> lamp inside the PD which implies the device is active. Now in the
> windows I used to select the "safely remove" option for PD. Then the
> light in the PD gets off and I remove it manually from the port. After
> my use of the PD in cyber-cafe it gets infected with some viruses and
> Trozans. Then even after selecting safely remove the light in the PD
> doesn't get off, which give me the suspicion of active viruses in the
> back-ground.
> After I had started using UBUNTU 9.04, I used clamav to remove all the
> viruses from the PD and then select the "UNMOUNT" option to remove the
> PD. But in this case I found the light in the PD was still glowing,
> though there is no viruses in the PD anymore.i

First, clamav doesn't remove viruses. If you run it from a terminal with
the "--remove" option it will remove/delete infected files. That means
the *whole* file, not just the virus. If that is a system file you may not
be able to boot the computer.

Second, I doubt that the light on the pen drive remaining on is a virus.
What makes you think it is?

--
Bob Holtzman
Key ID: 8D549279