Lousy Lynx

Kevin O'Gorman kogorman at gmail.com
Tue Sep 21 02:51:58 UTC 2010

On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 2:20 AM, Goh Lip <g.lip at gmx.com> wrote:

> On Monday 20,September,2010 03:50 PM, Amedee Van Gasse (ub) wrote:
> > He wrote a PhD dissertation "On Tuning and Optimization for Multiple
> > Queries in Databases". I have not read it, but if he teaches computer
> > *science*  and it's about databases, it could be that he takes a very
> > scientific and mathematical approach. In that case he doesn't have to be
> > an internet wizard per se.
>
> Ah, we finally get it. I was wondering how long it would take.
> I wrote...
> > Cybe, relational databases, not operating systems. My doctor don't know
>

> Kevin O'Gorman wrote
> > Some folks have had a lot of fun at my expense.  Well done, but my wife
> > beat you to it years ago when by repeatedly, in my most awkward moments,
> > asking "did anyone actually SEE you go to Dartmouth?"
>
> Looks like we are all not as wise as Kevin's wife, but then, she did
> marry him....hmmm    :)
> And I am canceling my son's application to Dartmouth.,  :)
> And where did you say you are teaching?   :)
>
> Sorry, Kevin, one more time at your expense. All in good cheers.
> Good luck with your presentation.
>
> Regards and take care - Goh Lip

GL, thanks.  Your reply indicates you understand the tone of my remarks.

By the way, cut Dartmouth some slack -- that degree was granted in 1965 in
mathematics and I had the good sense to never pretend to be a mathematician
(in spite of "honors in the major"). I vividly remember writing code far in
the back of math (and other) classes.  I've never stopped. I'm a programmer
with a math degree, and Dartmouth wasn't yet even trying to teach
programming.  My coding was for the first Dartmouth time-sharing system, and
was a work of love.

The MS and PhD in CS came from UCSB very much later, and I now teach at Cal
Poly in San Luis Obispo (as opposed to the one in Pomona).  Just keep your
son out of California, and he's safe.  :o)

By the way, my wife didn't get off scott free.  I made her attend the
dissertation defense (though she was 'way in the back and may have been
sleeping), then wrote a dedication in the final draft: "To Kay, my wife, my
friend, my ally, who saw it all happen" and presented her with a bound copy
of her own.  She hasn't used that particular goad since.  Not that she's
short of such stuff.

--
Kevin O'Gorman, PhD