voltage

Doug dmcgarrett at optonline.net
Fri Sep 17 02:18:04 UTC 2010

On 9/16/2010 7:26 PM, Christopher Chan wrote:
> On Friday, September 17, 2010 12:24 AM, Johnny Rosenberg wrote:
>> Den 2010-09-16 06:35:15 skrev terry l<xtlynne at charter.net>:
>>
>>> 311 volts is 220, peak to peak
>>>

>> Yes, it is. So did someone ask this or why did you write that?
>>

> Terry has this knack of not responding in the thread concerned. My
> digital multimeter reports somewhere around 311V but I am supposed to be
> in a 220V environment. Maybe the battery is dead and so certain
> functions are not available and so I get the 3xxV figures.

First replace the battery.  But it sounds more like you are rectifying
the AC and peak-detecting it--i.e., by putting a capacitor at the
output of the rectifier. (It wouldn't need to be much capacitance--the
input impedance of the meter is in the megohm region.)  This would
indicate some kind of circuit screwup inside the meter, maybe a bad or
shorted switch contact Or the range knob is loose, and some other
function produces this result?

--doug
--
Blessed are the peacemakers...for they shall be shot at from both sides.
  --A.M. Greeley