voltage

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Fri Sep 17 05:38:37 UTC 2010

On Thu, 2010-09-16 at 19:00 -0700, Li Li wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-09-17 at 08:35 +0800, Christopher Chan wrote:

> > > Kind of off topic, but not all digital multi meters read AC RMS
> > > voltages correctly. The more expensive one's do i.e. Fluke, HP,
> > > Philips, Tektronix, etc.
> > >

> > The thing is, it did read 2xx before so unless I had major problems
> > before...
> >
> As I pointed out to you last week:  311 x 0.707 = ~220.  You're reading
> peak.  Maybe you're not using the meter correctly, or maybe it stopped
> being a true RMS meter.  If the mains voltage were that much higher than
> it should be, all kinds of things would be smoking.

I got similar readings on a rental property. The meter base was
completely corroded inside at the base connections, big knots of
oxidation. I mean REALLY NASTY. The Utility Co. turned off the power at
the pole for me, so we could open it up. Then they took their huge wire
snippers and cut about an inch of the ends off, then stripped the lines,
pasted the ends with anti-oxidation goop and re-fastened everything back
together. Everything in the house behaved nicely after cleaning up the
box. Aluminum wiring needs to be checked about every 8 years. When was
the last time you inspected your meter base?? Hrmmmm?? :) Ric

Linux user# 44256