Problem defining the Samba workgroup

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Thu Sep 16 22:05:29 UTC 2010

On 09/16/2010 10:05 AM, Tom H wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 2:57 PM,  <pkaplan1 at comcast.net> wrote:
>> Sort of what I'm trying to figure out...How can I tell?
>>

> NoOp suggested that you add a dumbledore.kappa_net" entry to /etc/hosts.
>
> I tried doing so with ".workgroup" with your smb.conf but my workgroup
> was still ".kappa_net".

This apparently is not longer needed on 10.04. I just tried on the
laptop & it didn't make any difference. What *did* make a difference
after editing 'workgroup = <name>' in /etc/samba/smb.conf was to reboot.
No matter what I tried (stopping/starting/restarting smbd & networking -
logging out/in) made a difference. I could only pick up the new samba
domain/workgroup name in nautilus *after* I rebooted.

The odd part was that I could pick it up with 'findsmb' from the other
Ubuntu machine:
$ findsmb

                                *=DMB
                                +=LMB
IP ADDR         NETBIOS NAME     WORKGROUP/OS/VERSION
192.168.4.xxx   GG2           +[MSHOME] [Unix] [Samba 3.4.7]
192.168.4.xxx   GG-LAPTOP     +[LAPTOP] [Unix] [Samba 3.4.7]

I had changed the GG-LAPTOP from 'WORKGROUP' to the above 'LAPTOP', but
nautilus was still showing only 'WORKGROUP' until I rebooted at which
time it started showing 'LAPTOP'.

I suspect there is some cache'ing going on as from this machine I'm
showing GG-LAPTOP as belonging to both 'WORKGROUP' and 'LAPTOP':
====
$ smbclient -L //127.0.0.1
Domain=[MSHOME] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.4.7]

	Sharename       Type      Comment
	---------       ----      -------
<snipped>
Domain=[MSHOME] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.4.7]

	Server               Comment
	---------            -------
	GG2XP                gg2   server (Samba, Ubuntu)

	Workgroup            Master
	---------            -------
	LAPTOP               GG-LAPTOP <==== new one here
	MSHOME               GG2
	WORKGROUP            GG-LAPTOP <==== old one still listed
====

I suspect that if I logout/login on this machine those will have
changed... let's switch users & see... Yep, switch to another user and
it's showing:

	Server               Comment
	GG2XP                gg2 server (Samba, Ubuntu)

	Workgroup            Master
	LAPTOP               GG-LAPTOP
	MSHOME               GG2XP