dual boot with 2 drives

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Wed Sep 15 20:12:37 UTC 2010

On 09/15/2010 12:00 PM, Norman Silverstone wrote:

>> > I have a working drive with Ubuntu 9.10 and all my files and I have
>> > other hard drives that I can use for the XP Pro installation so, please,
>> > can someone tell me the best way to proceed. I accept there are
>> > alternatives but at least I would then have a choice.
>>
>> Have a look here:
>> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WindowsDualBoot
>> and let us know if you still have questions afterwards.
>
> I have looked at the reference given and, unless I have misunderstood
> totally, the item deals with Ubuntu and Windows on the same HDD.

The principals are the same.

> What I
> am proposing is to leave the Ubuntu HDD untouched and to load XP Pro
> onto another HDD and then, in some way modify Grub so that on start up,
> pressing Esc will bring up a list including the words 'XP Pro' for
> example. Selecting 'XP Pro' will boot up from the HDD containing
> Windows. If, at start up, Esc is not pressed then the machine boots up
> from the Ubuntu HDD. This is how it used to work.

It still works that way.

I have multiple dual-boot machines w/Win on one drive & Ubuntu on the
other. Quite often I swap the drives in & out and never have a problem
with grub detecting the other drive after doing an grub-update. Biggest
problem that I have is modifying Win to work in the new/test machine if
it wasn't originally installed there, otherwise no issues.

If the Win drive was originally installed in that machine, plug it in &
in bios remember to keep the boot order to the ubuntu drive. If you run
into problems:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RecoveringUbuntuAfterInstallingWindows
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2