dual boot with 2 drives

Norman Silverstone norman at littletank.org
Wed Sep 15 19:00:40 UTC 2010

> > I have a working drive with Ubuntu 9.10 and all my files and I have
> > other hard drives that I can use for the XP Pro installation so, please,
> > can someone tell me the best way to proceed. I accept there are
> > alternatives but at least I would then have a choice.
>
> Have a look here:
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WindowsDualBoot
> and let us know if you still have questions afterwards.

I have looked at the reference given and, unless I have misunderstood
totally, the item deals with Ubuntu and Windows on the same HDD. What I
am proposing is to leave the Ubuntu HDD untouched and to load XP Pro
onto another HDD and then, in some way modify Grub so that on start up,
pressing Esc will bring up a list including the words 'XP Pro' for
example. Selecting 'XP Pro' will boot up from the HDD containing
Windows. If, at start up, Esc is not pressed then the machine boots up
from the Ubuntu HDD. This is how it used to work.

Norman