Does this system work optimal on Ubuntu?

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Wed Sep 15 13:00:29 UTC 2010

On 15 September 2010 12:41, Wouter van Vliet <wouter.van.vliet at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
> I'm looking into buying a new computer, and as much as I know about certain aspects of the whole computing world, I haven't really been keeping myself updated on which hardware is good and in particular what works good together with Ubuntu.
> What I've put together is the following:
> CPU: AMD Athlon II X2 250 3.0GHz AM3
> Mainboard: ASUS M4A785T-M DDR3 AM3 S-940
> RAM: 4GB DDR3 1333MHz CL9 Geil (2x2GB)
> Grafikkort: 1024MB ASUS GeF GT220 G DI DDR2 PCI-E
> Harddisk: 750GB Samsung 7200rpm 32MB SATA2
> Harddisk SSD: 40GB Intel X25-V SSD SATA 2.5 Retail
> Kabinet: Cooler Master Elite 310 Orange/Sort u/PSU
> Strømforsyning: 500W Inter-Tech SL-500 120mm
> CPU Køler:Arctic Cooling Alpine 64 GT S-939/940
> Silent Kit: Silent opgradering Step 1 25dB
> DVD Drev: 48x16x Lite-On DVD Sort PATA
> Netkort Trådløst: Linksys Wireless 300Mbps PCI
> Kortlæser:All-in-1 Intern kortlæser sort
> The store where I'm planning to order from has a neat component-select system, so here's a link to the system as well: http://fcomputer.dk/?show=system_show&systemlinkid=95372
> The main things are in the first few lines I guess, CPU, Mainboard and Graphical card. So, if anybody has any bid on how to make this system better - very much appreciated.
> Thanks in advance!
> Wouter

It does not look bad at all, but the AMD chip is a rather low-end,
budget processor for a machine with 4GB of RAM, an SSD and a largish
hard disk. I would suggest looking at an Intel Core i5 and a suitable
motherboard, which should outperform the AMD chip by quite a large
margin.

Core i3 are the budget low-end Intel chips now; Core i5 are midrange
and Core i7 are high-end. If you can afford it, the higher-end chips
use the LGA 1366 socket, which is a good thing if your budget permits.
It has a triple-channel memory interface whereas the lower-end chips
use an LGA1156 socket with just dual-channels to memory.

AMD have, I fear, dropped the ball in terms of CPU performance these
days, and while some of their chips are good for budget systems, for
mid-range and high-end PCs, Intel comprehensively beat them.

Email: lproven at cix.co.uk • GMail/GoogleTalk/Orkut: lproven at gmail.com