umask, ACL inheritance and setgid +s not working with copy from flash drive in nautilus

Tony Arnold tony.arnold at manchester.ac.uk
Tue Sep 14 15:51:39 UTC 2010

Andy,

On Tue, 2010-09-14 at 11:31 -0400, Tom H wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 8:06 AM, Andy Graybeal
> <andy.graybeal at casanueva.com> wrote:
> > This is a repeat question, I'm going to rephrase it a little and maybe
> > I'll get a response this time around.
> >
> > I'm using Ubuntu 10.04, metacity and nautilus, and linux terminal server
> > (LTSP).
> >
> > My umask is set to 002 in my /etc/X11/Xsession.d.
> > The filesystem has ACL's enabled.
> > I have the folder set with setgid +s.
> >
> > The ACL's look like this:
> > andy.graybeal at buddleia:/srv/Desktop/Tech$ getfacl .
> > # file: .
> > # owner: root
> > # group: tech
> > # flags: -s-
> > user::rwx
> > group::rwx
> > other::r-x
> > default:user::rwx
> > default:group::rwx
> > default:mask::rwx
> > default:other::r-x
> >
> > andy.graybeal at buddleia:/srv/Desktop/Tech$
> >
> > Why when I copy a file from a jump/flash drive, does it not inherit the
> > ACL's properly?
> > Here is an example of a file I copied from a jump drive:
> >
> > andy.graybeal at buddleia:/srv/Desktop/Tech$ ls -lah cabling.txt
> > -rwx------+ 1 andy.graybeal tech 2.8K 2010-07-28 20:40 cabling.txt
> > andy.graybeal at buddleia:/srv/Desktop/Tech$
>
> Is "/etc/X11/Xsession.d" the right place for your umask?!

umask is ignored if there is a default mask entry.

I think the permissions are correct. The defaults in the ACL say a file
should get rwxrwxr-x but this is then AND'd with the default mask of rwx
giving rwx------

Or am I missing something?

Regards,
Tony.
--
Tony Arnold,                        Tel: +44 (0) 161 275 6093
Head of IT Security,                Fax: +44 (0) 705 344 3082
Manchester M13 9PL.                 Email: tony.arnold at manchester.ac.uk