Upgrade from 8.04 to 10.04 LTS (BORKED)

Karl Auer kauer at biplane.com.au
Mon Sep 13 07:56:10 UTC 2010

On Mon, 2010-09-13 at 09:34 +0200, Nils Kassube wrote:
> Derek Maciel wrote:
> > I've seen people create a seperate partition for /home but I never
> > really knew why.
> In the past it was the only way to preserve your individual settings in
> /home if you want to start with a fresh install.

Not so much the only way, but certainly the easiest way.

It still makes sense IMHO - the material in your home directory is
generally the material that is hardest to recreate in the event of loss.

Configurations, even quite complicated ones, can always be recreated
from scratch, and the programs can always be reloaded from disk or the
Internet. But data generated by you personally may be next to impossible
- or at least difficult or time-consuming - to recreate.

Material in you home directory is also the most likely to be
confidential, and having it on a separate partition or disk lets you
encrypt it most effectively and easily (and arguably least detectably).

If your home directory is on a separate disk, you can protect it
absolutely by physically removing it when performing dangerous
operations like upgrades or re-installs.

So on the whole I think having your home directory on a separate
partition or disk is still a good idea. But certainly not mandatory.

Regards, K.

Karl Auer (kauer at biplane.com.au)                   +61-2-64957160 (h)
http://www.biplane.com.au/kauer/                   +61-428-957160 (mob)

GPG fingerprint: B386 7819 B227 2961 8301 C5A9 2EBC 754B CD97 0156
Old fingerprint: 07F3 1DF9 9D45 8BCD 7DD5 00CE 4A44 6A03 F43A 7DEF