Help with resolution settings

Vic Main vmain at shaw.ca
Sun Sep 12 00:53:41 UTC 2010

At 05:00 AM 09/11/10, you wrote:

>>>Now an update to all this, the main problem I have now once the
>>>nvidia driver is installed and xorg.conf is configured,
>>>
>>>IF I CAN GET PAST THE PASSWORD SCREEN WITHOUT SEEING WHAT I'M
>>>DOING then the monitor comes to life and works fine.
>>>  (I was able to do this once).
>>>
>>>It still looks like the monitor isn't being identified, and that's
>>>the real problem.
>>>
>>>I hooked up a brand new out of the box Dell 2007FP monitor with
>>>the same results and it still wasn't showing up in the xorg.conf file.
>>>The graphics card seems to be guessing as to what's connected, and
>>>setting things up incorrectly.
>>>
>>>It looks like a default mode is stored somewhere, and until the
>>>xorg.conf file is run then that mode is in operation. I would
>>>guess that the v sync is too high.
>>>Without a scope I can't tell for sure.
>>>
>>>I'm thinking it's now time for a bug report??
>>>
>>>Vic
>>
>>In addition to the above, I found that I had to edit the xorg.conf
>>file and change the vertical refresh rates
>>to match the rate that manufacturer says changing the maximum rate
>>for the maximum display size that the
>>  monitor supports In my case 1600x1200 is a 60Hz rate. I also
>> edited the Horiz rate to match the monitor I have.
>>So below is the lines I edited in bold...
>>
>>Section "Monitor"
>>     Identifier     "Monitor0"
>>     VendorName     "Unknown"
>>     ModelName      "CRT-0"
>>    HorizSync       30.0 - 110.0  from this to
>>      HorizSync       30.0 - 81.0
>>
>>     VertRefresh     50.0 - 150.0  from this to
>>     VertRefresh     50.0 - 60.0
>>     Option         "DPMS"
>>EndSection
>>
>>Section "Device"
>>     Identifier     "Device0"
>>     Driver         "nvidia"
>>     VendorName     "NVIDIA Corporation"
>>     BoardName      "GeForce4 MX 440 with AGP8X"
>>EndSection
>>
>>Section "Screen"
>>     Identifier     "Screen0"
>>     Device         "Device0"
>>     Monitor        "Monitor0"
>>     DefaultDepth    24
>>     Option         "TwinView" "0"
>>     Option         "TwinViewXineramaInfoOrder" "CRT-0"
>>     Option         "metamodes" "1600x1200 +0+0; 1280x1024 +0+0;
>> 1024x768 +0+0; 800x600 +0+0; 640x480 +0+0; 1280x1024_60 +0+0"
>>     SubSection     "Display"
>>         Depth       24
>>     EndSubSection
>>EndSection
>>
>>In my case, the above had to be done before re-boot, and after running
>>$sudo nvidia-xconfig
>>
>>I didn't do that, so I had to run ubuntu from the CD, editing the
>>xorg.conf file from there
>>
>>So in conclusion, NoOP thanks very much for the vital information
>>to get me on the right track. The driver has always been o/k and
>>the right one for the card.
>>
>>I hope this helps others with the same problem, obviously by the
>>various posts, this is a common problem,
> [...]

To repeat myself, the software is not recognizing the monitor, the
video card is just fine.
Both monitors of mine do not do 1600x1200 at any vert rate above
60Hz, and when the monitor isn't recognized,
The settings are "guessed" at. The guess doesn't work in my case,
therefore the editing of the xorg.conf file.
If you have in addition to the same card, an Hp Pavillion a430n with
and AMD processor, dual booting on a separate drive with WinXP  etc,
etc. then and only then we might be talking apples and apples.
Again, thanks to all the guys who helped get my system going properly.

The KVM had nothing do do with this problem.

You are lucky it works for you!!

Vic