How to use other voip sip softphones than skype in linux

Christopher Chan christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk
Wed Sep 8 05:46:11 UTC 2010

On Tuesday, September 07, 2010 02:27 PM, user1 wrote:
> I am skyping with a friend who has windows xp and I am using lucid.

1) skype is not a sip softphone. It uses a proprietary protocol, not the
open standard sip protocol.

> The video and sound is often broken so the conversation is often
> difficult to follow.
>
> Then I tried aMSN and it tells that it will not do video.
>
> Then I tried linphone and the sound did not work.
>
> Then I tried Ekiga and could not make it work.
>
> Then I tried Kphone and that I could not make to work.
>
> So now I am back to skype.
>
> Any good experience of using another softphone which is as easy to setup
> as skype and which works well?

I am using Ekiga as a sip phone. But then I run my own sip service so I
guess that does not count.

> It has to be easy to setup so even newbies can use it :-)

Easy enough on the client side. Just look elsewhere if you both clients
to just setup an account and voila! Have you tried Ekiga accounts on
that score? I have my Ekiga interfaced with a Cisco Unified
Communications box (just a big name for an ip phone pbx) and my own sip
line via asterisk.