ksplice?

stan stanb at panix.com
Tue Sep 7 16:52:58 UTC 2010

On Tue, Sep 07, 2010 at 05:37:27PM +0200, Knight wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-09-07 at 10:43 -0400, stan wrote:

> > > OK, so are the updates being offered in a format that will take advantage
> > > of this?
> > >

> Yes it uses the normal updates from Ubuntu repositories, it then uses
> some advanced kernel hooks, in order to make it possible to transfer
> processes from one kernel to the (newly installed) other. This all
> happens while the server/comp runs and is doing it's job like a normal
> day without upgrades. - simply said
>
> You may experience some level of decreased performance as the
> server/comp is quite busy for a while.
>
> http://www.ksplice.com/uptrack/install
>
> This page says you should use "uptrack" to upgrade your kernel.
> (uptrack-upgrade -y)
>
> Did you request a key?
> You can do so at: http://www.ksplice.com/uptrack/key
>
> Please tell us where you got stuck?

Thak yu. The pointer to the docs was most helpful!

But, I still am slightly confused. I followed the instructions, then dis an
apt-get update, apt-get upgrade, then  uptrack-upgrade -y, and got this
result:

Nothing to be done.
Your kernel is fully up to date.

Even though the last thing that apt-get upgrade reported was:

Processing triggers for initramfs-tools ...
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-2.6.32-24-generic

Do I have the new kernel pathces installed now?