where is etc inittab equivalent ?

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Sun Sep 5 11:51:06 UTC 2010

Tapas Mishra wrote:
> I searched a file /etc/inittab in Ubuntu 10.04 bit bit.
> It was not there.
> On some link found Ubuntu stopped using that 3 years before.

Right, Ubuntu uses upstart which doesn't have the inittab file.

> Searching some blogs forums found
> /etc/events.d
> above directory was missing on my system.

Maybe you were looking for "/etc/init/".

> What I am trying to find out is how do Ubuntu decides which run level
> is default?

The default runlevel is 2 but I suppose you are on the wrong track.
Probably you think of different runlevels like they are used by e.g.
Opensuse or Red Hat. However for Ubuntu the runlevels 2 to 5 have the
same configuration unless you have changed something on your own. Maybe
you can give more details of what you finally wanted to do with the
runlevel. Or you could have a look at [1] where there might be the
information you are looking for.

Nils

[1] <https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UpstartHowto>