where is etc inittab equivalent ?

Knight knightotp at gmail.com
Sun Sep 5 11:31:35 UTC 2010

On Sun, 2010-09-05 at 16:43 +0530, Tapas Mishra wrote:
> I searched a file /etc/inittab in Ubuntu 10.04 bit bit.
> It was not there.
> On some link found Ubuntu stopped using that 3 years before.
>
> Searching some blogs forums found
> /etc/events.d
> above directory was missing on my system.
>
> checked /etc/rc.local
> did not found what I was looking at.
> Also looked at /etc/init.d/rc.local
> but could not find the desired entry.
>
> What I am trying to find out is how do Ubuntu decides which run level
> is default?
> Which file contains that entry?

Hi,

I think you're looking for the file /etc/init/rc-sysinit.conf

<quote>
knight at ubuntu-desk:~$ sudo cat /etc/init/rc-sysinit.conf
# rc-sysinit - System V initialisation compatibility
#
# This task runs the old System V-style system initialisation scripts,
# and enters the default runlevel when finished.
<snipped>

# Default runlevel, this may be overriden on the kernel command-line
# or by faking an old /etc/inittab entry
env DEFAULT_RUNLEVEL=2

<snipped>
</quote>

Regards,