Odd problem with terminal

Hakan Koseoglu hakan at koseoglu.org
Sat Sep 4 21:50:10 UTC 2010

Karl,

On 4 September 2010 22:36, Karl Larsen <klarsen1 at gmail.com> wrote:
>         This is NOT on the label. I have removed all contents of
4083-8092 is THE label.

> 4083-8092/ and it still can not be removed by normal means. I'm
> convinced it is a special problem that use USB connected memory devices
> that include even a common hard drive have. I can't place blame on all
> the USB memory devices, they are not all bad.
>     It might be my computers USB system. I have no way to test this.
I know where the problem is. Really. The problem is between your
keyboard and chair.

>     I have used umount and it fails in every case. It looks good at
> first but it fails.
Great, if only you have actually told us what the FINE message is.

What is the message when you execute the following?

sudo umount /media/4083-9082

>     Trying mount was a success. It showed the USB memory is mounted.
That's the thing Karl, you cannot delete a directory entry pointing to
a USB device when it's in use.
Here are some expected messages:

Attempting to delete a directory in /media when it's mounted:
hakan at hakan-laptop:22:46:42:/media$ sudo rmdir data5
rmdir: failed to remove `data5': Device or resource busy

Attempting to unmount a media when it's open by an other console or any utility.
hakan at hakan-laptop:22:47:23:/media$ sudo umount /media/data5
umount: /media/data5: device is busy.

You can check what is using the mounted drive by the command lsof.