hi

James Takac p3nndrag0n at gmail.com
Fri Sep 3 01:48:15 UTC 2010

Hi Parshwa

On Friday 03 September 2010 03:11:44 Parshwa Murdia wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 2, 2010 at 7:56 PM, Deryl R. Doucette <david at pgpkeys.net>
> wrote:
>
> Parsha, just remember that you can only have 4 *primary* partitions.
>

> Okay but my name is 'Parshwa'.
>

> This means that one primary partition will need to actually be an
>
> > extended partition inside which you make logical partitions. Ubuntu will
> > take care of the extended partition creation if you tell it that the
> > partition you want to make is a logical. I would suggest 2 or 3
> > *logical* partitions such as the following scheme:
> >
> > / on a logical
> > /home on a logical
> > swap on a logical
>
> Its really good to know but as I would be doing this first time (I am
> extremely new for understanding partitions), I would just replace the
> existing Linux system (Fedora Core 11) and I hope it would itself take care
> of it. Am I true?

That's basically the route I've taken in the past. What I'd suggest is to boot
the live cd and at first skip the install screen. An install icon will be
placed on the desktop. Once the desktop loads you can click through System ->
Administration -> Partion Editor from memory. The partion editor doesn't
appear to have installed by default after that on my system but can be added
in later if I need. You can then wipe the unwanted partions. Of course leave
the windows partion, the recovery partion assuming a recent pc and no windows
install disk, and any other partition you're not sure of. Generally you'll be
wiping the ext partions and the swap partion. Save that and exit the
partition manager. then double click the install icon on the desktop. Follow
the prompts and it should give you the option to use the largest available
free space. Take that option. It will look after the rest from there. On some
systems the install will appear to get stuck somewhere after the 90% mark. If
that happens (wait a while to make sure). You can safely reboot andlog in.
You'll likely have to click through Application -> Accessories -> Terminal
and enter the following command

sudo dpkg --configure -a

 to correct a reported error from the update manager (assuming red minus sign
shows towards the top right of screen)

I'd also suggest to see what others may say re this. It's worked for me on 3
systems to date. 2 of which required that last step. It seems to depend on
the system being installed to

James

--
There is no becoming. ALL IS.