hi

Deryl R. Doucette david at pgpkeys.net
Thu Sep 2 14:26:10 UTC 2010

On 10-09-02 08:36 AM, Colin Law wrote:
> On 2 September 2010 13:04, Parshwa Murdia <ubuntu.bkn at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am new here. Starting with Ubuntu for the Desktop (personal use only), I
>> would have to download it. But I am already having Fedora Core 11 installed
>> in 100 GB of space and Windows XP in the remaining 150 GB of hard-disk (that
>> is my PC is right now dual booted). Please let me know if installing Ubuntu
>> would replace the existing Linux system only (which is Fedora Core 11 in the
>> space of 100 GB) with the installation CD.
>
> It is up to you, you can replace the existing system if you want to,
> or if you have space you can shrink the existing partitions and
> install Ubuntu as a third boot option.  Make sure you back up
> everything important first of course.
>
> Colin

Parsha, just remember that you can only have 4 *primary* partitions.
This means that one primary partition will need to actually be an
extended partition inside which you make logical partitions. Ubuntu will
take care of the extended partition creation if you tell it that the
partition you want to make is a logical. I would suggest 2 or 3
*logical* partitions such as the following scheme:

/ on a logical
/home on a logical
swap on a logical

--