Office 2010

AV3 arvimide at earthlink.net
Wed Sep 1 15:08:31 UTC 2010

On Aug/31/2010 1:1330 PM, Dave Woyciesjes wrote:
> AV3 wrote:
>> I am not an Office for Mac user, so I am reporting third party info:
>> past versions of Office for Mac created documents not compatible with MS
>> Office and lacked some of the features of MS Office. Actually, Open
>> Office for Mac created more compatible documents. I believe there is a
>> new version of Office for Mac on the way, so these objections may become
>> obsolete.
>>

>> Since the OP wants to keep the MS Office experience intact, a Windows
>> partition seems the best tool for his needs at this time. In Ubuntu,
>> Open Office will be able to deal with whatever he creates in MS Office.
>>

> 	IIRC, you are not quite right. MS Office apps on the Mac did create
> compatible documents, just some of the fancier formatting stuff could be
> problematic. Not to mention that Windows did not like any disks
> formatted by a Mac.
> 	Yes, there were also features missing from the Mac version. But Office
> 2008 (Mac) is pretty much on par with Office 2007 now. The next version
> of Office for Mac is supposed to be just about identical, including
> appearance.

Thanks for the correction. I should have said "not congruent" instead of
"incompatible." My point for the OP was that Office for Mac was unlikely
to provide him with the Office for PC experience he seeks. It may indeed
be closer today and tomorrow than it was originally.

It may interest you to know that MS products for Mac are not official
ports. When Microsoft decided to shut down its "for-Mac" division, some
of its employees bought it out and now run it as a private enterprise.
Microsoft has been indulgent, and it has been sufficiently profitable to
keep producing updates, but there is no pretense of it producing MS
products.

It should be encouraging to all Linux users to know how vigorously Open
Office has kept pace with MS Office and excelled a commercial
enterprise, even if it is a step behind.

--
||Arnold VICTOR, New York City, i. e., <arvimideQ at Wearthlink.net>    ||