Partition table entries are not in disk order

Goh Lip g.lip at gmx.com
Wed Sep 1 04:58:15 UTC 2010

On Wednesday 01,September,2010 11:26 AM, Mouse Rusty wrote:
> I have just found that my partition table are not in disk order, Is
> anybody curious to know why?
> The netbook was pre-installed with SLED11 by HP and changed to ubuntu
> netbook 10.04 later by me. I have never re-partition it because I have
> to keep my home partition, the only possible operation is to re-format
> swap and root partition during ubuntu installation process.
>
> Could it be that, HP gives us such a strange partition table? and How
> to create it...
>     Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
> /dev/sda1            2613        3122     4096575   82  Linux swap / Solaris
> /dev/sda2   *           1        2612    20980858+  83  Linux
> /dev/sda3            3503       38913   284438857+  83  Linux
> /dev/sda4            3123        3502     3052350   83  Linux
>
> Partition table entries are not in disk order

Hi Mouse, there is nothing to worry about and there is no need for you
to do anything, like rearranging. The statement "Partition table entries
are not in disk order" merely states that the order that the partition
table appears is not necessarily in the sequence of your hard disk, just
in the sequence of the numbering of the partitions.

To see the sequence of the hard disk, and this is not important, type
"sudo parted -l".

So Micky, don't worry about it and enjoy yourself.

Regards - Goh Lip