Disturbed display

Basil Chupin blchupin at iinet.net.au
Sun Oct 31 11:58:39 UTC 2010

On 31/10/2010 20:47, H.S.Rai wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 31, 2010 at 6:21 AM, Basil Chupin<blchupin at iinet.net.au>  wrote:
>
>> On 31/10/2010 04:22, H.S.Rai wrote:
>>
>>> http://picasaweb.google.com/hardeep.rai/Temp#5533887133561490434
>>>
>>> What could be issue, and how to resolve it?
>>>
>> I find this happens to me on my Desktop and it happens, I suspect, as
>> the result of not having enough RAM and/or cpu power to render the
>> graphics when some application is also grabbing the cpu. With me it
>> almost always Firefox which has such "stripped" graphics
>>
> My FireFox is OK.
>
> <snip>
>
>> What happens if you refresh the page when those "strips" appear?
>>
> How to refresh?

LOL!

You got me! :-) .

"How to refresh?"

OK, I made the original statement while I had Firefox in mind. But now
that I have looked at OpenOffice I think that the answer to your
question could be File>Reload after you have opened a document - but I
don't really know.

>> bWhat
>> could be hogging your cpu (if using Gnome, System>Administration>System
>> Monitor)?
>>
> Nothing. If I use only FireFox and OpenOffice, System Monitor says: 30
> to 40 % CPU, RAM 20% (of 2 GB), 0% swap and OpenOffice give disturbed
> display. If I quit FireFox, run Chromium, CPU is 30%, RAM remain
> almost same, and OpenOffice does not show any problem.
>
> So, now I appears that culprit is FireFox :-(

Not necessarily.

You don't say if you are running the 32-bit or the 64-bit version of
Ubuntu, and which version of Flash with Firefox. Nor which video card
you have or if you are using the correct driver for it.

To get to the answer one must eliminate all the variables one by one -
and this case there are many which are not even known :-) . So don't
jump to occlusions about Firefox being the culprit :-) .

BC

--
"Ning Yu displayed his wisdom while the country followed System, but when it did not, he acted stupid. His wisdom is achievable by others, his stupidity is not."
                                         Confucius