Not a desperately urgent request but a quick solution would be very nice - it's about a Biorhythm program

rikona rikona at sonic.net
Sun Oct 31 06:42:30 UTC 2010

Hello Basil,

Saturday, October 30, 2010, 10:03:48 PM, Basil wrote:

BC> On 31/10/2010 06:22, rikona wrote:

BC> [pruned]

Unfortunately, you pruned the part that is related to the topic I was
referring to - I'll add it back:

"Of course. It is, as with many other topics, a matter of belief. :-)
If you reeeeally want to believe that birthday biorhythms work, then
it is not likely any good science will change your belief..."

which was then followed by the line below

>>> A good topic for the Ubuntu off-topic list. :-))

The topic I was referring to was a discussion of beliefs. As you might
guess, this can lead into long discussions, as it has on the MD
off-topic list. 'Beliefs' include an extremely wide range of
subtopics, about which hundreds of books have been written. Ric is
familiar with the discussions, and, as you should note, my email was a
reply to *him*, about events *he* is familiar with.

Since this has been mentioned at length on the MD list, my line above,
with the ':-))' at the end was a humorous reference to those lengthy
discussions.

>> RM>  You bet, you may consider taking it there. :) Ric
>>
>> I am, given this sometimes seems to also be used as the Ubuntu
>> off-topic list. :-)) A clearly-OT list would be nice, though...
>>

BC> Asking about an application to be used in Ubuntu is now in the category
BC> of "off topic" is it?

No it's not. It is completely on-topic. The comment was not referring
to either your question or the specific app.

BC> Please spell out your in-depth reasoning for this claim.

I did not make the claim you state above. I am sorry you misunderstood
what was a somewhat-side-discussion between Ric and myself.

Re biorhythms, many people are not familiar with the statistical
analyses that have been made about the 'birthdate' kind. I have some
familiarity with those, and have first-hand experience with techniques
for collecting data for a specific individual, and analyzing the data
to find statistically valid behavioral cycles for that *specific*
individual. If done properly, such cycles actually DO have some
validity [it's a stat thing] for that *specific* person. This goes
WELL beyond what the 'birthdate' kind refers to, in many ways. It's a
somewhat complex subject, and this just touches the surface of the
topic.

Since I have some familiarity with the science, I thought I'd give an
extremely brief summary of the results of fairly extensive scientific
analysis that has been done for the 'birthdate' type. My thought was
that some folks might like to know the results of some good science.

I also know that people with strong beliefs are often offended when
one of their beliefs is challenged, sometimes by science. I am sorry
if my comments have offended you - that was not my intent.

You were helpful earlier on another topic, and I thought I'd return
the favor by sharing some of my knowledge, although in a completely
different context. Perhaps that was a mistake.

If you need more detail, please let me know...

--

 rikona