Disturbed display

Basil Chupin blchupin at iinet.net.au
Sun Oct 31 00:51:42 UTC 2010

On 31/10/2010 04:22, H.S.Rai wrote:
> I am using Ubuntu 10.10 - the Maverick Meerkat, on Compaq Presario
> V6000, and found many application are not rendered properly. See
> screenshot, in which OpenOffice's font size and name (also information
> at bottom bar, information about page, language) are not rendered
> properly.
>
> http://picasaweb.google.com/hardeep.rai/Temp#5533887133561490434
>
> What could be issue, and how to resolve it?

I find this happens to me on my Desktop and it happens, I suspect, as
the result of not having enough RAM and/or cpu power to render the
graphics when some application is also grabbing the cpu. With me it
almost always Firefox which has such "stripped" graphics and as I have
my Thunderbird set to check for mail every couple of minutes what seems
to happen is that if I switch to a new a web page, and while this is
this causes a 'roadblock' on the bus and the graphics are distorted. If
you see what I mean :-) .

What happens if you refresh the page when those "strips" appear? What
could be hogging your cpu (if using Gnome, System>Administration>System
Monitor)?

BC

--
"Ning Yu displayed his wisdom while the country followed System, but when it did not, he acted stupid. His wisdom is achievable by others, his stupidity is not."
                                         Confucius