Viewing pix via net - followup

Basil Chupin blchupin at iinet.net.au
Sun Oct 31 00:37:41 UTC 2010

On 31/10/2010 04:48, rikona wrote:
> Hello Mark,
>
> Saturday, October 30, 2010, 9:15:17 AM, Mark wrote:
>
> M>  On Fri, Oct 29, 2010 at 10:24 PM, rikona<rikona at sonic.net>  wrote:
>
>>> Thursday, October 28, 2010, 12:18:21 PM, rikona wrote:
>>>
>>> r>  I'd like to view folders with perhaps 100-200 photos each, located
>>> r>  on another box on the local net. My favorite viewer is geeqie, but
>>> r>  I don't see how to get it to view other than local files. Same with
>>> r>  other viewers under 'graphics'. I can list the other dirs/files on
>>> r>  the other box, using nautilus or konq, so they should be available
>>> r>  for viewing. Even the icons in nautilus or konq do not show the
>>> r>  actual pix. I can open them individually, but that is not practical
>>> r>  when viewing hundreds of pix. How can I get geeqie, preferably, to
>>> r>  see the folders/files on another box?
>>>
>>> I got no response from this, but as I was looking for my net problems
>>>
> M>  While looking for something else, I just found something in
> M>  Nautilus that might help. In Edit->Preferences Click on the Preview
> M>  tab and adjust the setting for the file types you want to see from
> M>  "Local Files Only" to "Always." That might be what you want, but
> M>  I'd bet it's a performance drag, especially if you have hundreds of
> M>  files to preview across a network.
>
> Aha - I can now at least *see* the net pix! I normally don't use icon
> view, so I never noticed that setting. It does take a short while to
> load all the icons, but it's not a problem with most folders. Haven't
> yet tried the ones with, say, 2500 pix in them. Maybe I can have lunch
> while they load. :-)

The icons, that is the thumbnails, are stored in ~/.thumbnails directory.

If you delete this directory, all the thumbnails will have to be
re-created; so, if you have 2500 pix....... :-) .

[pruned]

BC

--

"Ning Yu displayed his wisdom while the country followed System, but when it did not, he acted stupid. His wisdom is achievable by others, his stupidity is not."
                                         Confucius