Wine?

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Sat Oct 30 13:55:24 UTC 2010

On Sat, Oct 30, 2010 at 12:14 AM, Mark <mhullrich at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 29, 2010 at 2:53 PM, Steve Flynn <anothermindbomb at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> A great shame. Disrespect to your competition is really rather
>> pathetic. I'd have thought that being a businessman you'd appreciate
>> not making yourself look childish to your clients or potential
>> customers.
>>

>> I really could not care one iota less about your rights to free speech
>> - it just makes you look like a tit when you can't bring yourself to
>> call Microsoft or Windows by their correct names.
>>

> I completely agree.  Referring to Micro$oft or Window$ by anything
> other than their correct name is silly.
>
> Even if I spell them a little differently, at least I'm not referring
> to them as Micro$$$$$$$oft or Window$$$$$, which would be more
> accurate.
>
> I've seen them by other names, too, and once in a while I'll use
> Windoze or something, but what's the point?

Concur, although occasionally I do use MICROS~1 - which is what VFAT
truncated the names of directories called, say, "Microsoft Office 97"
to on Windows 95/98/ME, if you looked at them from a DOS prompt. In
other words, it's what a Microsoft product did to Microsoft's name.
This amused me. It's the only one of them that does.

Mind you, it goes back a loooooooong way... Back in the early 1990s, I
remember pre-WWW online types referring to CompuServe (CompuServe
Information Services, CIS) as either Compu$erve or CI$. I suppose with
that CamelCase InterCap in the middle of its name - rare back then;
MicroSoft had already renamed itself "Microsoft" - they were kinda
asking for it. To 1980s/early-1990s eyes, the capital S in CompuServe
/really/ stood out.

Email: lproven at cix.co.uk • GMail/GoogleTalk/Orkut: lproven at gmail.com