Unity Interface in 10.10 Netbook Edition

Thierry de Coulon tcoulon at decoulon.ch
Fri Oct 29 20:42:52 UTC 2010

On Friday 29 October 2010 10:08:11 pm Tom H wrote:
> I disagree about the crashing phenomenon that you describe. I've been
> using OS X since late June and my three crashes have been VirtualBox
> dying and I've just force-quit it successfully every time.

Yep, I know that. however the complete system is stuck until you force quit
the crashed application. Ok, it's better than Windows 98 where it would crash
the hole system, but...

And the same happens when some applications are doing something (Adobe
Première, for example). Where's multitasking in the "most advanced OS"?

> Apple has a strange take on the command line but, for example, the
> partition issue that you mention is no big deal. All partitions are
> mounted under "/Volumes" (note the PITA capital letter!). We have
> "/media"...

I know that too. Just means that you always have to type /Volumes/ first, and
add "(...)" to access some directories. Yes, you can do it, but if Apple
expected users to use the command line either they wouldn't organize it that
way or they would be very stupid.

I can put a bunch of obstacles in front of my door and manage to get in
anyway, but it's so much easier if the door is free...

Thierry

--
"We live at a time when emotions and feelings count more than truth, an there
is a vast ignorance of science" James Lovelock