Unity Interface in 10.10 Netbook Edition

Rashkae ubuntu at tigershaunt.com
Thu Oct 28 12:11:31 UTC 2010

On 10-10-27 09:50 AM, Tarun Khanna wrote:
> I have run into a few issues with the new Unity interface in the
> latest (10.10) Ubuntu Netbook Edition.
>
> 1. There is no easy way to move/copy files around. The file manager
> provided by Unity doesn't provide a right click context menu. The only
> way I could do file operations was by launching the terminal (which by
> itself was difficult to find). Then either do file operations on the
> command line in the terminal or launch nautilus from within the
> terminal. That seems to be the only way to launch Nautilus.
>
> 2. The desktop crashes often. Sometimes it restarts by itself, other
> times I have to go to a terminal and restart gdm. This generally
> happens after I exit xbmc or huludesktop running in fullscreen mode.
>
> 3. There is no run dialog. That is definitely the single biggest issue
> as I use the run dialog very often.
>
> 4. The desktop is pathetically slow. My hardware meets the recommended
> requirements.
>
> Thanks for all your help.
>
> Thanks,
> Tarun

The 10.10 Unity has several well known problems, especially with scaling
to underpowered hardware.  While I'm sure the devs appreciate as much
feedback as they can (if you wish to file bugs that are not already on
bugzilla,) your best course for yourself is probably to install 10.04
until the next release cycle.