local net not working

Bill beau at billbeau.net
Mon Oct 25 19:39:48 UTC 2010

On 10/25/2010 10:38 AM, rikona wrote:
> Installed Lucid on a 2nd box on the local net. [The 1st box is OK - it
> can see/access the win boxes, and vice versa.] The 2nd box can't see
> others or be seen by others. The box2 inet works fine, and I can ping
> either in or out to/from local boxes [all have fixed IP addresses].
>
> I did some samba 'setup' using info on the UB site, but there are
> multiple pages showing how to do it, and they are different, as are
> non-UB samba setup pages. The current state on box2 has a very
> different smb.conf compared to box1 [which works]. The box2 smb.conf
> has all the comments stripped out and some entries that are not in
> either the working smb.conf or the original installed file. And, the
> 'samba menu' app on box2 says it doesn't like some entries in
> smb.conf. It looks like my 'setup' may have just messed up things...
>
> Not sure how to proceed. Would it be a good idea to copy the working
> smb.conf from box1 to box2 and restart samba? Or would there be a way
> to just 'start over'? Or is there yet another approach that might work
> better?
>
> TIA,
>
> rikona

First thing you should always do when your changing a .conf file is copy
it to a .old file. In other words cp smb.conf smb.conf.old That way you
always have the original.

Now I would copy the one smb.conf from the working machine and use that
as a start to configure your #2 machine. Samba can sometimes be a bear.
It took me a couple of tries before I got it right the first time I
tried it.

There is a good web app that allows you to configure a ton of things on
your machine including Samba its called webmin. Look it up it may help
you out.

Other than that ceck out samba.org and see if that has any info you need.