KMAIL, reorginizing messages

Thierry de Coulon tcoulon at decoulon.ch
Mon Oct 25 17:20:32 UTC 2010

On Monday 25 October 2010 03:36:56 pm Jordon Bedwell wrote:
> On 10/25/2010 07:56 AM, Thierry de Coulon wrote:
> > Thunderbird still doesn't handle Maildir, which means that if you run
> > kmail with the default settings you either loose all your mails or
> > (maybe) have to export/import them. I quickly tested this and it did not
> > work (Thunderbird's plugin would not read kmail's mbox archive).
> >
> > For me it's a show stopper, I can't see enough advantages in Thunderbird
> > to go through this much work (plus I wouldn't want to change to mbox
> > anyway).
>
> You can switch your mail to MBox and then migrate.  I don't know if it
> will automatically migrate it, but worth a backup and go? Don't get me
> confused with them, I only use Thunderbird because the UI in evolution
> calendar bugs me, it's a bit buggy so I'll be the last person to try and
> push Thunderbird on you.

I still use kmail (the 3.5.12 version) because I can't find a satisfying
replacement. I tried evolution, Clawsmail and other "mailers" in the Ubuntu
repositories but all have something here or there that sends me back to the
familiar kmail.

Aside from the very stupid automatic setup (but once you found the
information, you can get it right, and it seems the thunderbird devleoppers
are aware of it), the maildir problem is what made me uninstall.

As far as I know I think I could create new folders in mbox format in kmail,
transfer the mails in them and try to upload in thunderbird. But this makes
moving to another install more difficult (you can copy mail by mail from
maildir) and if your mbox file gets corrupt you loose all the mails, isn't
it?

It seems there were allready talks about supporting maildir when they rolled
Thunderbird 3.0 out, I don't really understand why they don't support a
standard, but then  I'm no Thunderbird dev...

But as long as Trinity keeps 3.5.x alive I can just stay with kmail.

Thierry

--
"We live at a time when emotions and feelings count more than truth, an there
is a vast ignorance of science" James Lovelock