Reaching out to hardware companies

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Sat Oct 23 04:09:30 UTC 2010

On Fri, 2010-10-22 at 23:08 -0400, J wrote:

> Still, it's a goal worth working toward.  Canonical is working on
> getting Ubuntu pre-loaded onto systems, but it's up to the buying
> public to reinforce that work by actually demanding Ubuntu on their
> computers.

One thing to be said about Winders, they own their market and there is
only one set of directory/library rules to follow. We've got stuff
plastered all over the place, especially between the rpm and deb worlds.
It must be obsoletely maddening for a software devel to write packages
for each major Linux distro and keep up with their 6 month-release
packages with each new "scheme d'joir" to contend with. Therein lies the
madness. And, that alone has relegated us to a lessor role on the
desktop. It ain't for mom or Mr & Mrs. Joe Lunchbucket. The people
working for our Non-Profit are scared and uncertain when I mention
becoming free of MS and rolling towards Open Source for our desktops. No
matter when I show them that KDE looks and performs like Win95.
<chuckles> Ric

Linux user# 44256