KDE Plasma Desktop / Panel problem

pkaplan1 at comcast.net pkaplan1 at comcast.net
Fri Oct 22 21:11:16 UTC 2010

I'm running KDE 4.5.2 on a cleanly installed Maverick system on a Thinkpad T400/Intel Graphics and an external monitor.

I am finally able to describe more clearly a problem that has been plaguing me since switching from Lucid.

The system is set up so that I have a large virtual desktop scanning both monitors. I use a bash script to have xrandr configure the external monitor to the right of the laptop monitor and set the laptop as the primary monitor. I like to keep different plasma panels on each monitor. In Maverick, when there is a panel on the external monitor, it causes all applications to disappear from the screen (They remain open as shown on a task manager or a console, just not visible). The desktop backgrounds, icons and widgets remain visible, just no applications. I've never had this problem with any earlier versions of KDE or X and as soon as I remove the panel from the external monitor (or place it on the primary), everything is fine.

Has anyone else seen such behavior or can you identify a fix?

BTW please don't mention a similar post last week as it was mine, but I didn't completely understand the problem then.
Paul