The casper-files and their vulnerability?

Oliver Grawert ogra at ubuntu.com
Wed Oct 20 09:57:54 UTC 2010

hi,
Am Dienstag, den 19.10.2010, 15:41 +0200 schrieb Are Venes:
> I am making a bootable live-system out of my Ubuntu 10.04.
> The thing i am wondering about is the socalled casper-files.
>
> I have done some changes to /etc/fstab and /etc/network/interfaces after
> making the bootable system(on the running system).

you should have done these changes in casper too by creating new
scripts ...

> The worrying bit is: Someone steals the system, boots it from another
> linux, replaces the casper-files
> and gains access to resources that he shouldn`t have during a "exam", is
> this possible?
casper is run *only* inside the initrd, if that person knows how to
regenerate the initrd and has write access to /usr/share/initramfs-tools
he or she will be able to inject his/her own casper scripts ... note
that casper is originally designed for live CDs where you wouldnt have
any writeable access to the filesystem ...

ciao
	oli