State of the 64bit?

Tom Browder tom.browder at gmail.com
Mon Oct 18 18:52:36 UTC 2010

On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 13:44, Anthony Papillion <papillion at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 10/18/2010 05:59 AM, Nikolai K. Bochev wrote:
>> I've been using 64bit since 8.10. No problems whatsoever. And i do nothing special. I've always wondered how people stumble upon such "problems", but hey, i guess you can't help everyone.
>
> Well, while I can't speak for others, I 'stumbled across the problem' by
> doing nothing more than the standard installation. Granted, it was on
> slightly older hardware (about a 3 year old Acer Aspire laptop) but
> still *should* have worked.

Did anything remain from an older installation such as /opt or /usr/local?

I have had problems caused by slightly different 64-bit layouts and
some library search issues from /usr/local held over from older
installations (early 64-bit and 32-bit and other distros).

Cleaning up my act solved those issues and I haven't looked back to 32-bit.

Regards,

-Tom