Hostapd and other network issues after upgrading to 10.10

Gianni Costanzi gianni.costanzi at gmail.com
Sat Oct 16 20:18:20 UTC 2010

Hi,
yesterday I've done a release upgrade from 10.4.1 LTS to 10.10 and I faced
the following issues:

1) br0 does not bridge anymore eth0 and wlan0 (I have a DNMA92 wireless card
that runs ath9k drivers) at startup even if specified in
/etc/network/interfaces:

[CODE]
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback
pre-up /sbin/iptables-restore < /etc/network/firewall-rules.conf

# The primary network interface
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet manual

auto wlan0
iface wlan0 inet manual
post-up /sbin/iwconfig wlan0 txpower 17

auto br0
iface br0 inet static
        address 10.0.0.1
        network 10.0.0.0
        netmask 255.0.0.0
        broadcast 10.255.255.255
        bridge-ports eth0 wlan0
[/CODE]

If I reboot the server, then [I]brctl show br0[/I] shows only interface
eth0.. before 10.10, everything worked without problems... I've solved the
problem adding to the above code [I]pre-up /bin/sleep 5s[/I] and it seems to
work now... maybe wlan0 is not ready when the brctl tries to add it to the
bridge br0? Any idea?

2) is there a configuration file or a particular statement that I can use to
specify that I want wlan0 to work at 17dB instead of 27dB? I've added the
post-up directive above to change the txpower when wlan0 is brought up, but
maybe there is a better way (such as an option to pass to the ath9k kernel
module..)

3) Hostapd seems to have problems at boot and if I try to connect to the
WPA2 protected network after a server reboot it keeps telling me that I'm
using a wrong password... I can not find useful messages in my syslog... if
I restart the hostapd, everything works.. again, it worked before the
upgrade. At present time I've solved the issue by adding a post-up directive
to br0:
[CODE]
auto br0
[...]
post-up /etc/init.d/dhcp3-server start
post-up /etc/init.d/linux-igd start
post-up /etc/init.d/hostapd restart
[/CODE]
As you can see, I need to start again also linux-igd (the upnp daemon) and
dhcp3 since they fail to start up since the bridge is not ready yet when
their respective startup scripts are invoked... maybe you have some useful
ideas also to avoid these post-up directives and to tell dhcp3 and linux-igd
to start after br0 is ready or to keep trying until br0 is ready.