Virtual Machines

Thierry de Coulon tcoulon at decoulon.ch
Sat Oct 16 18:25:30 UTC 2010

On Saturday 16 October 2010, Ted Hilts wrote:

> I use VirtualBox. The thing about all these machines is that they form
> an "internal network" not easily accessible to your network(s). For
> example I can't (or do not know how) to make one of the virtual machines
> go out on the internet and/or talk to one of the other machines in my
> LAN. This may just be my incompetance but I think one has to create a
> special "tunnel" to get the virtual machines talking to other machines
> on the LAN or INTERNET.

If you use bridged networking you should be able to setup your virtual machine
just like a standalone one.

Note that there are two versions of Virtualbox, the "OSE" one with limitations
but fully free, the other one usually not being distributed with Linux
distributions but available on the virtualbox site.

Then you could try Parallels and VMWare, they both have strength but they do
cost money and are closed source. Both sould be available as trial software,
so why not give them a try?

Thierry

--
"We live at a time when emotions and feelings count more than truth, an there
is a vast ignorance of science" James Lovelock