notification of new version

Tom H tomh0665 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 15 23:09:13 UTC 2010

On Fri, Oct 15, 2010 at 8:18 AM, Wouter van Vliet / Interpotential
<wouter at interpotential.com> wrote:
> On 2010-10-15 12:42, Tom H wrote:
>> On Fri, Oct 15, 2010 at 6:06 AM, R Kimber<richardkimber at btinternet.com>  wrote:
>>>
>>> I was wondering how someone who isn't subscribed to this or a related list,
>>> and who doesn't spend time visiting Ubuntu websites, know that there's a
>>> new version released?  Update manager used to do this, but so far it has
>>> failed to alert me to the new version. I've had two or three normal updates
>>> of 10.04 stuff since 10.10 was released. Does it wait for a specified time
>>> after release before alerting people?
>> By default, LTS releases will only pormpt you to upgrade to another
>> LTS release. See the change to "normal releases" in
>> "https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-users/2010-October/230732.html"
>
> I think the point Richard makes is quite valid, I don't think many
> "n00b" users would know what LTS means, or that they can change it at all.

I'd saved this email because I wasn't sure whether to respond. I'm
glad that Jordon had that rant about the "prompt" options because it's
inspired me.

If you're that concerned about newbies being able to upgrade from an
LTS to a non-LTS release without changing one drop-down setting, why
don't you file an enhancement request to the the update-manager
maintainer to add a dialog box to inform an LTS user that he/she has
to change "lts releases only" to "normal releases" if he/she checks
for updates and a non-LTS one is available.