Nvidia proprietary driver install problem

Holg Ru holgru at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 13 10:46:39 UTC 2010

Hi,
as I recently implemented the Ubuntu Marverick 64bit BETA Version on my new laptop (sony vaio VPCF12S1E)
everything worked pretty well, except some little glitches but no show stoppers, including the proprietary Nvidia
drivers for compiz. Then around one week before the release date of Marverick a new update of the Nvidia
drivers came along and things were broken down. I could not get the drivers to work any more. The X-server
seems to load but freezes on a certain stage before the logging screen can come up. I had to reboot and de-install
this drivers. I reviewed a couple of posts but not luck to solve this problem. I am not sure on what the problem relies on,
but now also when I use the browser sometimes the whole screen freezes only the mouse can be moved. Has anyone
a solution to this or experienced the same problem?

Some help would be appreciated and a step by step instruction to follow.

Cheers Holger