Upgrading from 10.04.1 to Maverick 10.10

Mark Widdicombe mwiddicombe at shoprite.co.za
Wed Oct 13 10:19:43 UTC 2010

From: ubuntu-users-bounces at lists.ubuntu.com [ubuntu-users-bounces at lists.ubuntu.com] On Behalf Of Basil Chupin [blchupin at iinet.net.au]
Sent: 13 October 2010 12:05 PM
<snip>
>However, I don't know if I made the situation clear: I downloaded <700MB
>as a CD iso, but then the Update Manager tells me that it will download
>800+MB to do the upgrade. But what is ~100MB between friends :-) .

>BC

100MB is quite a lot if you live in the third world where bandwidth is expensive.  Would it be more efficient to download the 700MB iso for the OS, then download and reinstall all the extra apps, or upgrade?  Can't say unless you know which extra apps, but is there a way of finding out in advance?  For example, I have quite a few apps that aren't included in the distro, but I can't tell how much difference the upgrade vs reinstall options will make.  (Actually, it's of academic interest to me at the moment because I won't be upgrading or reinstalling until the next LTS (Putrid Panda?))

Disclaimer
http://www.shopriteholdings.co.za/pages/1019812640/disclaimer/E-mail-Disclaimer.asp