[10.10]-Fix For Ugly Boot/Shutdown Screens!!!

Tom H tomh0665 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 11 22:26:48 UTC 2010

On Mon, Oct 11, 2010 at 5:54 PM, Jesse Palser <SLNTHERO at aol.com> wrote:

> [10.10]-Fix For Ugly Boot/Shutdown Screens!!!
>
> If your running new Ubuntu 10.10
> with an nVidia graphics adapter
> and proprietary display driver
> then you may have noticed
> that the boot/shutdown screens
> are ugly text.
>
> Someone posted a fix to this issue here:
> http://ubuntu-virginia.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=9749459
> (I tried the above instructions and it works great)

FYI, it's not just nVidia. In VBox VMs, both Lucid and Maverick
briefly display text at shutdown if I forget to set
"GRUB_TERMINAL=console". As someone pointed out to you previously,
there's some strange but benign interaction between X, KMS, Plymouth,

So to remove some extraneous text at shutdown, you've removed
acceleration (if I've understood correctly) from your display.