Upgraded packages that require a restart

Pastor JW pastor_jw at the-inner-circle.org
Mon Oct 11 14:59:50 UTC 2010

On Friday, October 08, 2010 8:35:06 am NoOp wrote:
> On 10/08/2010 04:47 AM, R Kimber wrote:
> > Is there a definitive list somewhere that shows which packages, when
> > upgraded, require you to restart the computer?  Long ago, it used to be
> > just the kernel, but now it seems to embrace various packages.  It would
> > help if the upgrade manager announced clearly, before you upgrade, that
> > a restart is required if you go ahead, but it doesn't.
>
> I think that it depends on the patch, so it's hard to determine. For
> security updates the USN announcement will show whether a reboot is
> required, example:
> http://www.ubuntu.com/usn/usn-1003-1
> <quote>
> After a standard system update you need to reboot your computer to make
> all the necessary changes.
> </quote>
> But who goes and reads those... particularly when the USN isn't
> mentioned in the update description (only the CVE-2010-2939 is mentioned
> in the update-manager changes)?

I think it is because of "its just like windows" syndrome we have with Ubuntu
that causes this need to reboot after every little fix.  Next we will have
support recommending complete reinstalls to fix booting problems!  Oh wait, we
already have that too!  Never mind, I guess it is ruined down to near the
windoze level ... :(

> <https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/update-manager/+bugs>

The bug is the reboot requirement itself in Ubuntu updates, ...excluding the
need for a kernel reboot of course.  Even that ought not require a reboot
although I'd understand the "suggestion" to do so in order to put a new
underlying base of the OS on your system.  But isn't even that stored in a
"read only" type of condition?  Kernels are not altered on the fly are they?
It seems because the old one is still all there and can be booted into later
if a problem arises that no mods are done to the kernel itself anyway!  And it
is expected to work with the current installed applications, right?  So what
is the rebooting requirement for?  Other than a windozism, that is.

--
73 de N7PSV aka Pastor JW <n><   PDGA# 35276
http://the-inner-circle.org  _Registered Kubuntu User: #27403