Upgraded packages that require a restart

Marius Gedminas marius at pov.lt
Mon Oct 11 15:44:30 UTC 2010

On Mon, Oct 11, 2010 at 07:59:50AM -0700, Pastor JW wrote:
> I think it is because of "its just like windows" syndrome we have with Ubuntu
> that causes this need to reboot after every little fix.  Next we will have
> support recommending complete reinstalls to fix booting problems!  Oh wait, we
> already have that too!  Never mind, I guess it is ruined down to near the
> windoze level ... :(
>
> > <https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/update-manager/+bugs>
>
> The bug is the reboot requirement itself in Ubuntu updates, ...excluding the
> need for a kernel reboot of course.  Even that ought not require a reboot
> although I'd understand the "suggestion" to do so in order to put a new
> underlying base of the OS on your system.  But isn't even that stored in a
> "read only" type of condition?  Kernels are not altered on the fly are they?
> It seems because the old one is still all there and can be booted into later
> if a problem arises that no mods are done to the kernel itself anyway!  And it
> is expected to work with the current installed applications, right?  So what
> is the rebooting requirement for?  Other than a windozism, that is.

Overwriting programs/libraries does not change the code currently loaded in
memory.  Even after installing an update for a program/library you're still
vulnerable to the security issue until you restart all the application
instances that had that code loaded.

And then there are some pieces of infrastructure like d-bus that simply
do not support restarts, as a design decision by upstream.

Marius Gedminas
--
If it weren't for the last minute, nothing would ever get done.