Switching from kmail to claws, balsa, or something else?

Adam Funk a24061 at ducksburg.com
Mon Oct 11 13:37:11 UTC 2010

KMail is the only KDE application I still use, and I'm fed up with
some of its annoyances.  I'm looking for a new GUI e-mail client to
use at home, and am considering claws or balsa.

My requirements:

* the client must support secure IMAP and local mail folders (with the
  ability to move messages between them);

* locally stored mail *must* be in maildir format (mbox is not
  acceptable, so I've eliminated Thunderbird).

Nice things to have:

* ability to get mail from the local spool and a different POP3 server
  as well as the secure IMAP;

* support for multiple identities (ability to toggle the From &
  Reply-To headers when composing mail;

* good display of in-line attachments;

* option to display messages as plain text or HTML (and preferably to
  toggle between them);

* ability to delete attachments and keep the rest of a message.

Suggestions?

Thanks,
Adam